Friday, May 14, 2010

I can get in to the Control Panel and go to Internet Options, but forgot my password, for the ratings control!

I need to get into it, so I can change the content advisor ratings, to keep my kiddos safe from things...but I forgot my password and I can't do anyything with it! Help someone! I want my kids to be able to use the net safely, why won't it let me change the password or anything?I can get in to the Control Panel and go to Internet Options, but forgot my password, for the ratings control!
This utility, Content Advisor, is one of the most poorly developed parental control options out there. You'll see why here in a minute.





If you've forgotten your password for this utility, it's very simple to reset it. The following tasks I am about to educate you on are very risky as you will be modifying what is known as the system registry (it's a major fundamental operation to Windows itself). Understand that I can not be held responsible if this causes any damage, however take it from me I've done this a ton of times (I am an in-home technician) and I have yet to witness it make anything worse.





1) Click on the START Button


2) Click on RUN


3) Type ';REGEDIT';


4) Expand the following folders in order (To expand click the + sign to the left): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE; SOFTWARE; Microsoft; Windows; CurrentVersion; Policies.


5) Click on the folder ';Ratings'; to view it's content


6) Click on ';Content Advisor';


7) From within there you should see a key in the right hand side titled ';KEY'; simply right click on it, and click delete.





Restart your system, from here the content advisor will be disabled and reset. Simply re-establish your password and you're done.





Now if you want truely professional and quality parental control, I highly discourage against strictly software related parental control as any intelligent teen (and most teens these days are quick enough to fix this) can easly bypass parental control software.





I recommend a mix of hardware and software, the best retail available product I can think of is: D-Link Secure Spot





It's a hardware box that actually goes between your router and your modem for internet activity, from there you can actually establish a filter to allow it to block specific images, websites, and content. It'll filter out filthy words, filthy images, and so forth.





It's incredibly easy to manage and administrate on your behalf, and it's moderately affordable. I believe last one I sold was a 70 dollar product, though this was a little while ago.





The only downside to this is again, it's moderately easy to filter. The child only has to change the cables in the back to skip it, however most kids are not comfortable (just like most adults) with fiddling with wires that might ';blow up their computer'; (though it wont, but many think the threat is real when playing with wires).





This is the best course of action I can recommend for you to take when it comes to parental control, as well as how to reset the Content Advisor issue you're experienced. Hopefully this assisted you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment