Sunday, January 24, 2010

Where can I get an IP (as in Internet Protocol) controlled dimmer switch?

I'm trying to find out where I can get a dimmer switch that can be controlled via TCP/UDP packets. What I'd like to do find some way to control lights from the computer, somewhat inexpensively.


I'd probably even settle for an IP controlled motor that I could pair with a normal dimmer switch.


Any advice is welcome!Where can I get an IP (as in Internet Protocol) controlled dimmer switch?
You probably won't find a TCP/UDP dimmer switch. I would try looking for an RS23/422/485 serial controlled switch. The link below is for a kit you can build yourself to do what you want, but it requires a decent knowledge of electronics and the appropriate tools. The other answerer has a good point, but PLC controllers, like Crestron, are typically very expensive. I would guess you won't have much luck finding a commercially available product, but good luck.Where can I get an IP (as in Internet Protocol) controlled dimmer switch?
You could try a PLC (programmable logic controller) They are not too terrible expensive and I believe they do make them IP controllable. You would be able to use the PLC as a group of switches to control all of your lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment